Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Bargument ripped from today's headlines

Big layoffs and cuts announced today at the Barguments Blog's day job, The Miami Herald. This includes a pay cut for the BB, which will be matched by an equal cut in fixed expenses on the BB's part.

Which will force us to consider this actual bargument: Would you rather give up Internet or cable television?

To me, this seems like an easy one. I drop cable. You can watch so much television on the Internet now, it's an obvious trade. But it sure isn't as convenient. You've got to log in, you've got to find the right show, you've got to hook-up your laptop in a decent place to watch, plug in the speakers, etc.

I know, I know... watch through an Xbox or something. We do hook our laptop up to our TV, but that brings its own logistical challenges. Which brings us to a frightening thought: our remote no longer having a function.... We've grown so close.

1 comment:

Bing said...

I gave up cable AND internet for 3 years. It started after Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma left us powerless for a week, a day and a week and I realized how much more relaxed I was without constant visual stimulation. Once I got through electronic detox, it was EASY to function without cable. No internet made it hard to check e-mails, news, pay bills, etc. Now I have both back, but only have cable because of the internet service via cable modem.