Saturday, February 2, 2008

Sheeeeeeeit




I just discovered NPR did a radio segment on 10-ounce Budweisers two years ago. But did they talk about the Eastern Shore? No. They went to St. Mary's County.


Now, as we'd say on the Shore, that ain't right. How in the hell can you do this story without hearing an Eastern Shore accent?


I originally broke the 10-ounce trend story back in the early 90s when I was writing for the Star-Democrat. NPR gave no credit, of course. I should have been their on-air expert.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Budweiser sells most of its beer in 12-ounce cans. It used to be the most popular beer in the country. Now, I think it's 12-ounce Bud Light.
On the Shore (Jesus H. Christ, Blogosphere! Don't you know anything?! I'm refering to the Eastern Shore of Maryland -- the eastern side of the Chesapeake Bay) Budweiser also sells beer in 10-ounce cans. And those cans outsell 12-ounce cans on the Shore.
It's one of the few places in the world where you can even buy tenners -- the others: the coast of Louisiana, Puerto Rico and, yes, Southern Maryland, home of St. Mary's County. But there's just now way Southern Maryland can compete with the Shore's loyalty to tenners. No way.

I'm listening to this segment as I write this post (it lasts five minutes). You can listen to it by clicking here.

The reporter interviewed all these locals at some St. Mary's bar. Most of them sound like they're from Connecticut -- except for the last guy, who talks about loading seven cases of 10 ounce into the mobile home when they go away. "I drink Bud, my wife drinks Bud Light."
He has a boat, too -- called "Ten Ounce.''


OK, I'll give St. Mary's some credit on that one. Wish I could track down that guy and give him a book. But gawddammit, you can't talk about 10 Ouncers and snub the Shore.
I'm not happy. It's one thing to have a local (me) write about tenners -- a term not used ONCE in the segment -- but when Noah Adams does, it sounds a little patronizing. Look at what these crazy beer-drinking country folk are doin' now!
Want to see some real 10-ounce fans? Come to the official Barguments launch party at the bar that started it all: Latitude 38 in Oxford. Latitudes will be hosting a Barguments happy hour on Saturday, March 15, from 3 to 7.


I'm hoping they'll put tenners on sale. Chances are, they'll run out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sounds like he's from Connecticut."
Mr. Hanks I happen to know some folks from CT who love to drink 10 ouncers in St Mary's or Lattitude 69 or yes even in the great Nutmeg state.

Anonymous said...

True, Kmill, but will they float on a life jacket for five hours while drinking beer in the middle of a river?

Michael Valliant said...

The Hanks talks a big 10oz game, for someone who favored Miller Lite over 10ers for years. But distance makes the liver quiver, for sure. Ten'ers were the preferred beverage out our Eastern Shore wedding...

Anonymous said...

Now, Valliant, you know I used to keep the fridge in The Shed stocked with 10-ounce Budweiser at all time. Don't you remember Spring Break '98?! But I always ordered Miller Lite at the bars because it was usually colder. (And I noticed I was weighing approx. 260 pounds...)