Sunday, January 20, 2008

Another night with the Barguments advanced review copy


This book made me very hungover Saturday morning. It really wasn't my fault. I stopped by the bar across the street from my condo, Flannigan's (Loggerhead to Grove locals) and happened to have the review copy of Barguments in my back pocket. (My weekends consist of me fishing for compliments.)

So there I was, walking into Flannigan's, when who do I encounter: Sam and Hector, the star bartenders from the Coconut Grove Sailing Club and early Barguments fans. How could I not alter my original plan of having a club soda and side salad in favor of drinking ONE beer -- strictly for PROMOTIONAL purposes.

By 3 a.m., my new plan fully executed, I walked home. Here are the photos from that night, and some from the night after at Berries and (it's so close!) Flannigan's, again.

From Night One, Sam and Hector. Would "delighted" be too strong a word to describe their reaction to Barguments? Enthralled? If only the woman in the background could seem so thrilled.






Here's Royce, standout Flannigan's bartender and Barguments fan. Next time you're there, ask him for a bargument.





This couple sat next to Hector and I (Sam left fairly early; did she have something better to do between midnight and 3 a.m.?!). The wife loved the book. The husband wished there were stools open elsewhere. Then again, he came to life on the bargument asking which U.S. president would make the best drinking buddy. He said JFK, having met some Kennedy offspring on a recent trip. Pretty convincing bargument response, I must say.



I wish I could remember this guy's name. He played DJ all night-- putting about 15 dollars into the jukebox. He's a waiter at Morton's and did not have a good night (despite it being a Friday) so his outlay was even more appreciated. And then, when I played Shakedown Street, he announced he was going to go home and download some Grateful Dead. Good stuff!




Hmmm. She seems to be enjoying the book so much, I feel bad not remembering a funny anecdote to tell about her. Let's just assume she made charming and adroit comments about Barguments. She looks the part. Glass of wine: classy!




The guy on the left (head down) told me he had wealthy parents and said he wanted the book now. He suggested he would pay big dollars to take the advance review copy -- the only one I own.


I, of course, was willing to take his money. But a solid offer never followed.


(Note the coaster on top of that wine glass in the foreground. Germ issues? I feel so bad about that sneezing fit I had moments after this photograph was taken...)




NIGHT TWO
Here's Miami ex-pat and current California resident Ron perusing Barguments at Flannigan's at a reasonable hour...



Here are Norman and Rich, bartender and manager at Berries on Saturday night. Rich declared himself a Barguments fan. According to my field research, Rich is one of the few guys to admit that, if a million dollars was at stake, he would rather flip a coin than shoot a free throw. The reason? "The pressure,'' he said.



I agree, Rich. I'd flip the coin, too. Yes, the odds are with you on the the free throw. But why not just take the 50/50 shot and not worry about choking? Why blame yourself when you can blame the universe?

Be sure to stop by both Flannigan's and Berries in March, once Barguments is released. Both will have signed copies for your reading and barguing pleasure.

No comments: