Tuesday, January 29, 2008


Now that I own an actual copy of the Barguments book, I've been testing it out with friends and strangers. I cringe when someone first picks up the book and flips through it. (Hint to people with friends who are authors: Looking at someone's book for less than 45 seconds is the equivalent to tossing said book over your shoulder and flipping on the television.)


The worst moment: When a bargument is read aloud and everyone answers the same way. Did I miscalculate in asking readers to pick the better songwriter between Jimmy Buffett and Bob Marley? (Would Marley vs. Springsteen have been better? I think that was the original version.) Will anyone give up sunglasses over shorts? Only my sales ranking on Amazon.com will tell.

[Someone must be a fan. I just noticed Barguments has shot up to book No. 106,080 on Amazon, making it the 69th most popular Question & Answer book. It barely edged out The Standard Basic Dictionary for Programming but lost the 68th slot to Data Structures and Algorithms. Well, at least I'm in good company.]

But this blog offers some clues. I usually don't vote on the polls you can find nearby, but I did on the bargument asking you to adopt a robot from TV or the movies. So far, Rosie from the Jetsons holds a narrow lead, followed by KITT (the car from Knight Rider) and then R2-D2. Ultraman -- the giant Japanese robot summoned by a remote control -- has only one vote, and that's from me.

Is your world so safe that you feel confident you'll never need an eight-story robot capable of shooting laser beams? Have you not been listening to John McCain?

4 comments:

Michael Valliant said...

I am afraid this bargument is bunk. A little more research would have led you to recall that Ultraman was not a remote controlled robot, but that the hero actually transformed into Ultraman. It was a complicated, secret identity thing. Not that you can always trust Wikipedia, but you can check it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraman

Now, if you had thought about Twiki from Buck Rogers, or Dagget, the droid/dog from Battlestar Galactica...

Anonymous said...

He was robot-like. Wasn't there a kid involved?

Anonymous said...

What about Irona, Richie Rich's robot maid?

Anonymous said...

Irona is a brilliant candidate. Could definitely kick Rosie's ass in almost any competition.